Monday, November 9, 2009

Thanksgiving

This is my favorite time of year. I just love the southern style Thanksgiving meal. Lots of butter, gravy, skin of the turkey, HOME-MADE mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, apple pie a la mode, broccoli casserole, rolls, etc. Yum, YUM!! My fondest memories of Thanksgiving are going to Virginia to visit friends and family. I remember playing basketball with my cousins and uncles on Thanksgiving day. I remember seeing my cousins and Uncle Tom coming home in their camo-gear from hunting deer on Thanksgiving afternoon. We usually ate around 2pm and then watched the football game afterwards followed by basketball outside. All my mom's side came to Aunt Bonny and Uncle Tom's house. They live out in the country a bit and have only 1 bathroom. Rob always says he can't believe we can have 25+ people in one house with only one bathroom!! But it always seemed to work alright. I remember always going to a movie with my family and their friends on Thanksgiving night. Friday night was always the night my parents went out with their friends and the kids were left at home with the older kids to babysit. It was fun. We always made our own fun whether it would be from playing "beauty salon" or having a "dance recital." I have so many fond memories of Thanksgiving. Another memory is of my sisters and I staying the night at Aunt KK's (Kelleigh) apartment. Her roommate was Aunt Donna and no they weren't "together." They were just buddies that are still friends to this very day. Even though Aunt KK is a mom of two and married now, I still secretly wish that we could have sleepovers still and stay up late watching "Dirty Dancing" and eating pizza and popcorn. Shopping was always a must on Friday after Thanksgiving. That is when my mom always made us stand in line to get our picture with Santa. Today, she displays all those pictures at Christmas time. (Wow, isn't that embarrasing...being 12 and on Santa's lap!!)

This year, we will be going to Rob's hometown of Canfield, OH to Thanksgiving. He is having a 15 year class reunion the Friday after and so, we will be having Thanksgiving lunch on Friday and celebrating "Christmas" with his folks on Thanksgiving. Kinda mixed up and definitely not what I'm used to, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments: